Friday 9 May 2014

The amazing MgSO4-7H2O

Let's face it: "MgSO4-7H2O" doesn't exactly roll off the tongue. Nor, for that matter, does "heptahydrate magnesium sulfate". But if I say "Epsom Salts", everyone knows what I'm talking about.

Everyone? I confess, until today I knew only a couple of things about this amazing natural mineral, which looks like rock salt and is found in many places but firstly in a town called Epsom in Surrey, just 30 km south of London. I knew it was good to soak your tired body in but I didn't know why. I knew it was good for plants because it had magnesium - and that was just about it.
Now I know that we, who live in a big city with a Western lifestyle, mostly suffer from magnesium deficiency - because of several factors including intensive farming which can deplete soil of nutrients, including magnesium. Which cannot be easily absorbed by your intestine but flows easily through the skin - hence the soaking, about 1 cup in the full bathtub.
Note that a hot bath with Epsom salts is not a good idea if you have diabetes or low blood pressure as the warm bath can further reduce your blood pressure. And when you come out of your bath happy, relaxed and freshly re-magnesised (is there such a word? I bet not), you should keep active if you have arthritis - as you know, you should keep those joints moving!

Apparently magnesium helps serotonin work, thefeelgood neurotransmitter the body generates in response to positive events. I'm told Epsom salts can also reduce swelling of a bruised body part, can be used as a natural laxative, is used in the treatment of asthma and even to prevent cerebral palsy in premature babies.

There is a website devoted to it (http://www.epsomsaltsoakbath.com/#), although more complete information can be found on several medical websites.

No comments:

Post a Comment